Hintertuxer Chronicle

How it all began...

1925

  • July 21: Negotiations result in incorporation of the Tuxer Valley es zur entscheidenden   Verhandlung, die mit der Eingemeindung der Fraktion Hintertux die Einheit des Tuxer Tales herstellen sollte.

 

1926

  • March 11: Tux grows to today's size of 112 km²
  • Spring water source is retapped and a swimming pool is built. The first guesthouse und bathhouse were built in 1847.
  • 9 houses including Kernhof.

 

1928

  • Construction of road to Hintertux
  • Hintertux becomes an electorate precinct

 

Approx. 1930

  • A small outdoor swimming pool and so-called „covered pool“ as precursor of an indoor pool.

 

1930

  • September 28: Inauguration of the school house

 

1932

  • June 15: Road to Hintertux is approved
  • The first post depot is set up
  • June 29: Scheduled public transport during the summer months in Hintertux
  • Bau eines Gerätehauses
  • Franz Pichlsberger sen. opens the first ski school

 

1935

  • Season post office in the summer owing to growing tourism.
  • Mayrhofner born Franz Dengg purchases the „Alpenhof“

 

1936

  • Building of the Dr.Dollfuß memorial church begins

 

1937

  • Stage 1 of the Dr.Dollfuß memorial church building project is completed

 

1939/40

  • Winter: 225 guest beds

 

1940

  • October: demolition of the Dr. Dollfuß memorial church ordered by Gauleiter Hofer

 

1947

  • July 14: centennial celebrations of the thermal spa

 

1949

  • January 2: Establishment of ski lift company
  • Summer: Construction of the first chair lift on wooden frame – near Haus Tirol – cost of a ticket          Schilling 1,-

 

1951

  • January 19: Disaster winter – lift damaged, 6 stables and new apiary (Pichlsberger). Badhotel dining room and Haus Nenner damaged as well as storage magazine and ehemaliger Totenkasten vernichtet.

 

1951/52

  • The little „Maria Himmelfahrt“ church is built

 

1952

  • 221 guest beds

 

1954

  • Building of Bichlalm t-bar lift (remainded until 1984)
  • A garage is contructed

 

1957

  • Electrification
  • 43.105 overnight stays

 

1959

  • October 10: 17 residences and 94 inhabitants

 

1960

  • A t-bar lift down to the valley is built (Galtaple)

 

1963

  • 471 guest beds

 

1964

  • January 24: Franz Dengg, together with Hermann Wechselberger (Hohenhaus), Ludwig Klausner (Hesser), Hermann Tipotsch (Nenner) and ski instructor Franz Pichlsberger from Hintertux, the „Hintertuxer ski lift company limited.
  • The Schraubenfall caves and waterfall are declared protected natural monuments.
  • Council approves contruction of avalanche barriers to protect the thermal spa and presents project plans.

 

1965

  • Operation of the single chair lift up to the 'Sommerbergalm' begins, opening up the Tuxer-Joch and glacial ski areas.

 

1967

  • Construction of avalanche diversion dam

 

1968

  • Tuxbach bridge – negotiations with the TKW
  • July 13: Teacher Hans Baschinger suffers a fatal accident; school closes

 

1971

  • May 12: 16 residences and 127 inhabitants
  • Building of a full biological sewerage plant

 

1975

  • The Auenweg road is declared a municipal road.

 

1976

  • Lift pioneer Franz Dengg receives order of merit from the state of Tirol on request by the Tuxer council.

 

1981

  • 29 residences and 156 inhabitants

 

1984

  • Expansion of the „Auenweges“ road
  • Independant, year round post office opens

 

1987

  • September: Gemäuer water spring is tapped and an elevated tank built – as well as new water pipes

 

1992

  • In conjunction with the Wildbach avalanche barrier contruction, proposal for a similar project for Schmittenberg is made.

 

1993

  • A danger zone plan is acknowledged by the council.

 

1994

  • Council commissions engineer architect Frey to survey space requirement and draw plans for new school house and garages.

 

1995

  • Schmittenberg avalanche barrier contruction begins
  • Operation begins of artificial snowmaking system
  • 207.034 overnight stays

 

1996

  • Operation of „Gletscherbus“ cable car begins. As of 1965, 22 lifts and cable cars, and 2 restaurants in Tuxerjoch and glacier ski areas.
  • 23 residences – 215 inhabitants (census 1991), 1.138 guest beds (1995)
  • 70 year celebrations – incorporation

 

2000

  • Building of the Gletscherbus 3: Tuxer Fernerhaus –Gefrorene Wand (3.250m)